Tuesday, August 28, 2007

It's been quite some time since I posted; somehow life gets in the way. I once again have a new job. I now work with the developmentally disabled, where I supervise and teach weaving. It's a really fun job, but it's a lot of work to keep 8 people weaving. I do everything from winding warps, deciding what colors to use, cutting and gluing denim strips and fixing looms. I work at Rainbow Acres , which is located in Camp Verde, Az. I have done volunteer work there in the past, and when they needed a new weaving teacher, they thought of me. We make denim and rag rugs, place mats, belts, mug rugs, and anything that uses denim or strips of cloth. The majority of materials are donated, so we try to make do with what we have. It can be a challenge to be creative with plain weave, but it can be done. One weaver has been weaving a modified rep weave, using 16 epi for the warp. He is the most advanced weaver, and is a lot of fun to work with. There are other weavers, who are unable to use a tape measure, or even understand what they are doing, and so are unable to understand when there is a mistake. It does keep me on my toes, because regardless of who is making the product, people won't buy something that is not well made.

I'll post some pictures of their work at a later date.

Have a nice rest of the day.

No comments: