Thursday, September 07, 2006



The big ball of yarn on the left with some help from some size 10.5 knitting needles and my hands has become the shawl on the right. It was an easy knit and fun to do. It is a gift to my next door neighbor who now lives in a quasi-nursing home in Prescott. She's in her 90's now, and is always cold. I use to visit her when she lived next store and in the middle of the summer she would be dressed in sweats and with no air conditioner turned on. This is Arizona, where it gets really hot!

This is the undulating twill scarf I wove from some merino/tencel roving. It's a very nice scarf, soft, wonderful feel to it. I see I can very easily spin thinner yarn when I'm going to use it for weaving. This was navajo plied and came out at about a sports weight. The warp was varigated colors which was why I navajo plied it. Unfortunately, the weft being a dark purplish blue overwhelmed the colors of the weft. Originally, I was going to do a shadow weave, or I would have made the weft thinner, probably by 2 plying it instead of navajo plying the yarn.

I finally re-warped the rug loom on the porch and am working on a rug. I'll post pictures as soon as it's done.

No comments: